August 7, 2009

Just Peachy


In my quest to support local farms, I took a little trip to a farm in the next town Cook's Valley Farm. I try to make the rounds of local farms to "share the wealth". This farm has been worked for over 300 years!

While there I bought peaches. In my absolute ignorance I was unaware that peaches grew in this neck of the country. Who knew! These peaches had major fuzzies - very very hairy. They need a shave! The mottled colors are beautiful.

So time to make some peach preserves. I was flying by the seat of my pants because I am not the "preserving" kind of gal. I have issues with sterilization. Not sure why but it freaks me out. Sooo...I found some plastic "Ball" jars that do not require sterilization! Woo-hoo! I'm in.

So I chopped up my bounty of peaches and threw them in a pot just long enough to break the chunks down a little. Added a little sugar and freezer jam pectin. Voila! Lovely topping for cottage cheese, waffles, etc. And not too sweet! Mmmmmmm!




Then into the handy dandy little Ball containers and then into the freezer. What's not to love?





No comments: