February 9, 2011

Snow Bugs?

I took the Pug for our weekly outing to the pond on Sunday to visit these guys.

Swans on the pond
Amazingly, I actually remembered to bring something to feed them this time.

Someone else enjoyed the Cheerios.......
IMG_1225
.....but the swans did not approve!

It was too hard to walk around the pond today because of all the snow so after the quick trip down to feed the swans we headed back out.  I noticed that there were thousands of black dots all over the snow.
IMG_1230
Upon closer inspection, I could see that the dots were hopping around.  Huh?  What are they?  Snow bugs?  I still don’t know but I am very curious.  Anyone?

8 comments:

Verde Farm said...

I have no idea about the snow bugs but the swans are gorgeous :)

The White Pear Tree said...

Your top picture of the swans is just stunning! And the one below with your pug is sooo adorable! What a funny dude, eating the Cheerios, lol!

I have never seen snow bugs!

★Carol★ said...

It's probably snow fleas, which aren't actual fleas, so don't worry about your little fur baby becoming infested! Those swans are so beautiful. How lucky you are to have some nearby to visit!

troutbirder said...

Yup snow fleas alright. Harmless but I've never seen so many.

Anonymous said...

these guys kinda gross me out but sound interesting too...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_flea

Rebecca said...

I've never heard of snow fleas-the swans certainly are beautiful!

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tattytiara said...

Snow fleas, huh? Who knew?

Your pup is as adorable as those birds are gorgeous!