September 1, 2010

Buy Local - Project Genesis

I recently came across a blog that sparked my interest.   It’s interesting, and fun, and sometimes more than just skin deep.  Just the kind of thing that I like to read.  It is hosted by Suzan aka Old*Grey*Mare.

image

Suzan is hosting a monthly (1st of each month) blog post where everyone can share tips for living a more socially responsible life.  Aptly named “Project Genesis”.   (Suzan, I hope you don't mind that I used your header.  Just this once.)

image

I remember back to the earliest days of recycling.  In my town, in Canada, that was more than 20 years ago.  Back then, the consensus was kinda “what one person does, doesn’t make much of a difference”.   And the experts agreed.  It had to be widespread.   Regardless, I didn't care who said I wasn’t making a difference, with just a little amount of conscious thinking, it quickly became habit in our house.   I can only imagine how much has been kept out of landfills from just our family.

Now, something else has been on my radar recently with the recent outbreak of salmonella in the egg industry .   The television coverage of these recent events has made me cringe, turn away, and change the channel.   And cry.    I suppose I have been functioning in “ignorance is bliss” mode.  The way these poor creatures are forced to live is heartbreaking.  

So next on my agenda is to become more diligent about buying local eggs. 

image

I already buy whatever I can locally and this is just one more reason to support our local farms.    Fresher food and money spent in the local economy.  Why not?

I think each and every one of us can make a difference.

15 comments:

oldgreymare said...

You betcha! Each action by each person dominoes all the goodness. Thank you so much for joining Genesis today and of course it is OK that you used my header.

I'm thrilled you participated. My heart lifts a little more with each link I see.

I never lose hope but I too get discouraged at times. We just have to keep talking and trying and not settling for anything less than the world deserves.

Suzan

Anonymous said...

Excellent point about the eggs..we're careful to buy local produce, but still get our eggs at the supermarket. I'm going to crectify that..it is heartbreaking how those poor birds live! Thanks for the reminder...

Lynette

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Thanks for bringing this up. The distress those caged chickens live in must permeate the eggs. As long as people buy them, the situation will not change and those birds are living in hell. Farm fresh eggs, better for us and better for chickens. I personally think those large industrial chicken hells should be shut down and legislators should make such inhumane conditions illegal. You have brought up a very important topic - our consumer dollars ultimately decide whether this type of situation will change. Great post!

Unknown said...

Inspiring!
The great thing about buying eggs right from the farmer is that you can actually SEE how the chickens live.
Some companies label their eggs from 'free range chickens'. But that only legally means the chickens have access to the outside...this can mean a small opening cut into a barn door that the chickens never use.

erin's art and gardens said...

poor little chickens, indeed. thanks for prompting me to search for local eggs!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

About the only thing we can get here in Kuwait that is local is cucumbers and eggs. The eggs aren't even washed, still have feathers and mess on them but I've never heard of anyone getting salmonella poisoning. I've been here 16 years, and just wash the eggs off and place them in the fridge.

Dates are grown here but there's no factory to produce them so instead, they ship their dates in from Saudi and other countries. Just doesn't make sense at all.

I became vegetarian last year after reading Quantum Wellness. The thought of what is being done to animals these days just to produce more and more meat is really disheartening.

So many folks are still living in
"ignorance bliss" and need a wake up call. Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous rest of the week. :) Tammy

Shellbelle said...

Yes, I believe in buying locally and my taste buds are the happier for it!

For those who don't have a local farm, there are ethical companies who produce organic eggs from free range chickens for supermarkets. Sure they cost more, they cost more to produce. Just have to set your priorities to what you feel is important and this is important!

marilyn said...

And the taste is soooo much better. Support your local farmers, farmers market and maybe even try growing or raising your own.

Carole said...

I'm glad to hear that you were doing the recycled thing when it wasn't always the norm.
I think I've always thought that way being brought up with parents that went thru WW I and II in Europe.
The other day a friend of mine mentioned to me she had seen the conditions of the chicken and she was appalled....I assumed most ppl knew but just didn't care enough.
I've been a vegetarian for sometime now but we do eat eggs but only local organic ones. They cost more but after seeing those images it's hard to eat anything else!
great post!!!
xx
Carole

Ella said...

Great point/post! It is awful the cruel conditions, makes me sad~
I do think what we do doe make a difference. Now we just need to make sure to tell 2 friends and so on and so on(commercial from the 70's)!

Posts like yours are important; We can see what change may do...one step or purchase at a time. I do
shop locally, as much as I can!

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

Thank You for stopping by today. We shop for eggs and fruit and greens locally at the flea markets. I like to purchase the brown eggs they seem so much larger where we go. Have a great weekend....Julian

coyotedreamer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Coyote Dreamer. Yours looks wonderful.

Pam Kessler said...

Great post! There are some massive egg farms around here and they are constantly getting in trouble for health issues and the living conditions of the poor chickens is ridiculous. It's disgusting. Thanks for reminding me to buy from the little local guys around here. I'll pop on over to old grey mare and check it out.

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Thanks for stopping by today! I read in the book Food Inc, that we all vote three times a day, with the way we eat. I thought that was a very powerful statement!

troutbirder said...

Perhaps we should all reread Sinclair's THE JUNGLE. It occurs to me in the present political phase of deregulation or no regulation, we need to be reminded how bad things can get.