April 19, 2009

The Great Outdoors - Never a Dull Moment!

Garden Chores of the Puttering Kind

An unexpectedly nice day made for a wonderful afternoon puttering in the garden. Managed to add compost and till the raised beds, water some (the rain barrel was overflowing!), clean here, rake there, yada yada...... Ended the afternoon by cleaning and setting up the patio set up - dinner al fresco is not far away. Yahoo!

Checked on the seedlings that were planted 1 week ago today and was delighted to see that the Bush Champion cucumbers are raring to go - already about 2" high - and the Pink Star Morning Glories are up 'n at 'em too! In just 1 week! Makes me happy that I started later this year. Hopefully the transition to the great outdoors will be an easy one.

Animals ...... Wild & Otherwise

I have been a dog person all of my life. Then when my last dog, a dachshund called Mr. Twister, died 5 years ago I knew I was not ready for another dog. Kids were growing wings and empty nest was on the horizon. The responsibilities of another dog were something that I really needed to give some thought to. After three months of mulling it over, I was as lonely as hell but still knew that a dog was too much at this point in life. And that is how I ended up with not one but two cats, Cally Cat & Smudgie Bug ("the Brats"). Brother and sister kittens found in a snow bank. They were so damn cute I could not resist! I quickly discovered that the thing is....cats like to catch things! I don't like that! Out of necessity is one thing but since they are well fed so it just peeves me off. I know, I know, it's about the thrill of the hunt. I get it. I just don't like it.

So at the end of an enjoyable day in the garden, I look out the window while washing dishes and detect cat shenanigans in the backyard. At 1st I give the customary cat whistle (which, believe it or not, brings the Brats running) but their attention is elsewhere. Uggg. What the hell are they up to?

I spot my neighbor's cat, Basil, heading up from the creek with something in his mouth. Good lord - here I go again. I couldn't tell what it was until he was closer. A beautiful baby bunny!

I grabbed a huge tree branch and start swinging it to make him drop the bunny. (Great - another reason for my neighbor to think I am nuts!) The cat dropped the bunny but it started sliding down the hill towards the creek and couldn't get it's footing. With 3 cats lurking, I had no choice but to slide down the hill after it. I was able to get the little guy and set him up in a box with hay and carrot and lettuce. He didn't appear to be hurt just terrified. I read on the internet not to handle him too much so I can't be certain.if he was hurt or not. I tucked him away in the garage (away from kitties) for the night. I'll say a little prayer and figure out what to do in the morning.

No comments: